113630998427559431:2006/01/#113630998427559431,">

das fiten babeez

i am a dirty stinking liberal.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Say what now?

Bush sez: "I was elected to protect the American people from harm."

What a load of horsehit. Of course, in this context he's justifying warrantless, unaccountable spying on civilians. Basically spying by executive order, ergo, dictatorship. Not far up the slope from "disappearing" dissidents, or mass graves in the desert.

Of course it's a violation of the law, and of course, one-party Republican strokers are falling all over themselves explaining how Dear Leader has every right to spy on whomever he chooses, regardless of the situation, because it's a "national security" issue. Talk about originalists. These people are original totalitarians.

But back to the "I was elected to protect the American people from harm" comment. As a matter of fact, no. No you were not. Here's the oath he swore:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."


Note he's defending the fucking Constitution, as befits the Chief Executive of the United States. It's good of them to do their utmost to protect us as well, but I'd feel more secure if the President was protecting the Constitution, as his job description states. We have institutions to protect us, institutions that work best when pestered by citizens. Frankly, I don't think Bush has time to protect me and do the rest of his work, right? He'd be following me everywhere. That would get annoying too. I'm betting there'd be an assload of Secret Service guys and reporters too. Then there's the other 300 million people who need protecting. He'd be stretched pretty thin.

Thus, I'll lean on the police for basic deterrence, and my own wits and feet for the rest of it. I expect a lot of you do the same.

Digby, as usual, has an excellent post explaining some hilarious parts of the macho GOP's complicity in granting Emperor Bush complete power...here's the end of it:

Very moving, no? All those fine words about the rule of law safeguarding our liberties, the arbitrary exercise of power and Bunker Hill, Lexington and Normandy went right out the window on 9/11. That was when Henry and the rest of his stalwart defenders of the rule of law promptly wet their pants and then let their president use the constitution to clean up the puddle.


Go read digby, and give him money, he's worth every penny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hey! This is copyright me. Don't steal shit, obby. eXTReMe Tracker